Monday, February 19, 2018

The Treasure of Generosity


     For the third time in four weeks, I heard the word, or read it in print. Generosity. When that happens, I know I should pay close attention.
We hear about generous givers such as wealthy benefactors to institutions or charitable organizations. The Bible speaks about being a cheerful giver and a sacrificial giver.   

     Paul wrote to the Corinthians and described the Macedonians, 
“We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia, for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part. For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord, begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints— and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us.(2 Corinthians 8:1-5 ESV)
 
     We often associate generosity with finances but it shows up in other ways. We know the story of a young boy who offered and shared his lunch- five loaves and two fish. Jesus used it to feed 5,000. (John 6: 1-14) Generosity invests and multiplies.
 
     Last week, I waited in a car line at Costco. Fifteen cars passed me by before one motioned to let me turn. Sometimes, simple gestures are generous ones.


We can be generous in listening to someone who has a heavy heart or who is bursting to tell us about something special in her life. 
     We can be generous by praying for another.
     We can be generous by speaking encouraging words. 
     We can be generous in giving time, especially when it’s inconvenient or to do  something out of our comfort zone.

Generosity is more than money. It’s personal. Paul commended the Macedonians because they gave themselves. Generosity costs. But when I spend, I invest, and it spreads and multiplies.
 
How can you be purposefully generous this week? Time, prayer, listening, a simple kindness, speaking?

Let us know. Perhaps your comment will inspire another to do the same, and your investment will spread and multiply to people you don't even know.




.

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn! I'm writing on this same passage for my blog next week. You've touched on many of my ever-expanding thoughts as God teaches me about generosity (my #OneWord) this year. In particular, thanks for pointing out that the Macedonians "gave themselves."

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

   This blog has moved to  www.marilynnutter.com.  See you there!